Thursday, January 8, 2015

RC Dawson Gears Up New Team Members During Week One

2:24 PM Posted by Anonymous No comments
Although veteran RC Dawson team members never seem to stop working on various robotics projects, the official season started last monday. There already has been a sizable increase in participation for RC Dawson. The program has become the fastest growing extracurricular at Dawson and the team is working to ensure the accommodation of everyones ideas. The growth of RC Dawson has been almost exponential. The program originated from just a select few students who shared a common interest, to a large team. 

The RC Dawson team has become a family in the sense that traditions and knowledge are passed down. Opening week is a special time because the veteran members get a chance to bond for the first time with THE future of RC Dawson. New members get a chance to explore every branch of the RC Dawson program and find their niche. Whether it be business, PR, or just passion for building, the RC Dawson program offers something for everyone. 

Below are the internal thoughts of a new member during week 1 of robotics:

Monday, Day 1
Note: Jim is not actually a real person

Jim:
I have never really been a natural at integrating myself into groups of people…C’mon Jim show some confidence, they are probably super nice and you will fit in great. 

Alright just step in and check it out…I cautiously walked into the room hoping not to break anything and look like a rookie even though it was evident that I was in fact..a rookie

I knew who everyone on the team was because I spend to much time on facebook, but I didn't really “Know” them which might be awkward…

Oh my gosh the captain of the team is approaching me. I kind of want him to talk to me, but at the same time I don’t want to say something wrong. 

(He says “Hi how are you? You’re here for robotics right?”)

I literally could not form a cohesive thought because I felt like I was in the presence of a legend.

I kind of mumbled something and he showed me around the room, my face looked as if it was raining skittles: pure astonishment…

After he introduced me to other members of the team I sat down along with other wide eyed novices to listen to the captain give a welcoming speech. He assured everyone that regardless of their skill level they would be received with open arms. 

We split up into groups and rotated stations, learning about various parts of the team: programming, business, journalism and building

As soon as I got to the build station I knew I would never regret my decision of joining the team. 


Tuesday, Day 2

I patiently waited for school to end absorbing what material I could even though all I really cared about was robotics after school. 

As soon as I was dismissed I stumbled out the door while receiving accolades for my questionable coordination from fellow classmates…haters

I practically fell down the stairs so eager to get into robotics…

I spent the whole time with the build team learning how last year’s robot, Doug, was built. 

I experimented with gearboxes and asked probably too many questions to the members about how things worked, but I didn't care because I felt like I was in heaven…if heaven had lots of robots and students running around building stuff. 

Wednesday, Day 3

I went through a similar routine…you know…school…waiting

Today was my day…all I could think about was learning how to use the new band saw and CAD

I once again displayed my unique athleticism when I ran to robotics…but ran is a generous term when addressing my athleticism…really it was more of a stumble

I accomplished everything I had wanted to do that day and still had time to spare

I was pleasantly surprised because one of the veteran members walked in with donuts and soda to celebrate the announcement of the new team captain. It was fun, but I was eager to get back at my attempt to assemble a gearbox…I had a long way to go to say the least

Thursday, Day 4

After my daydreaming about robots I actually had a chance to work with the robots after school

I continued to expand my knowledge of engineering…slowly, even though a thought I had accumulated the knowledge of a rocket scientist

Today was also the day the team was test driving and making improvements to old robots

Some might say I was a natural at the whole process…which was kind of true-ish..more of a stretch, but I felt like a champion none the less. Even though my driving prowess was superseded by almost everyone on the team it was only a matter of time before I became THE BEST. 

I could see myself…standing there making clutch maneuvers in the world competition and the team lifting me up and carrying me around but then I realized I had probably eaten too many donuts to be lifted up and robotics class was over. 

To be continued…









0 comments:

Post a Comment